If there’s a risotto maker’s motto it’s this: “If in doubt, add more liquid at the end.” Risotto should border on the soupy, and it will continue to absorb liquid as it stands. A simple and spectacular addition to a basic risotto is a large handful of whatever chopped fresh herbs are available.
3 tablespoons Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 medium onion, diced fine
2 cups Colavita Arborio Rice
3 cups chicken or meat broth, or more as needed, preferably homemade or Rachael Ray Low Sodium All-Natural Chicken Stock; keep hot over very low heat
Salt and freshly ground pepper
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a heavy 3 quart saucepan over low heat until the butter is foaming.
- Stir in the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden yellow but not browned, about 15 minutes.
- Allow the chickpeas to dry. You can air dry them or help them along by patting them with some paper towels.
- Increase the heat to medium; stir the rice into the pan. Saute until the edges of the rice turn transparent and grains begin to sizzle on the bottom of the pan, about 5 minutes.
- Pour enough broth into the pan to cover the rice by ¼ inch. Adjust heat to maintain a lively simmer-but not a steady boil. Simmer, stirring constantly, until the liquid is absorbed and you can see the bottom of the pan when you stir the rice, about 5 minutes.
- Continue adding liquid to the rice as described above, each time adding just enough liquid to cover the rice by ¼ inch and simmering until the rice has absorbed the liquid until the rice is tender but still slightly firm in the center, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir enough broth into the rice to make a creamy sauce. The rice should be creamy enough to be ladled into serving bowls and eaten with a spoon. Remember that the rice will continue to absorb liquid as it stands, so be somewhat generous with this final addition of stock. Stir in the remaining butter and the cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.