Asparagus, Leek, and Sun-Dried Tomato Quiche with Herbed Olive Oil Crust
Everyone needs a perfect quiche recipe in his or her repertoire and this one bakes up just right every time. Packed with spring’s bounty of fresh flavors, we can’t decide which we like more: The filling or the crust!
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for rolling
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt, divided use
- 2 teaspoons Rachel Ray Buon Appetito Italian Seasoning
- ½ cup chilled water
- 2 medium leeks, washed, dried, and cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 cup fresh asparagus sliced on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus additional for topping
- ¼ cup Colavita Sun-Dried Tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Place ¼ cup olive oil in the freezer until it thickens slightly, about 20 minutes.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse the flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and herb seasoning until combined. Add the chilled olive oil and pulse to incorporate. Slowly add the water until the dough begins to clump forming a ball. (Note: You may need a little more or a little less depending on the humidity.)
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and sprinkle a little more flour on the dough. Roll the dough into a 12-inch circle turning and adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking. Carefully place the dough in a 10-inch by 2-inch tart pan and gently press into place folding over the excess dough to make the sides a bit thicker. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Remove the tart pan from refrigerator and prick the dough several times with the tines of a fork. Cover with parchment paper and fill with pie weights. Place pan on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Carefully remove pie weights and continue baking crust for another 10 minutes or until dry and golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool before filling.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the leeks and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the asparagus and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the eggs, yolks, cream, milk, pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt; set aside
- Evenly spread the leek and asparagus mixture on the crust bottom. Sprinkle with the cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. Pour in the egg mixture and bake 30 minutes until light golden brown and the center is set.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool before cutting.
- Garnish with parsley and additional cheese if desired.
Notes: For a dairy-free version, replace the cream and milk with 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, add 1 additional egg, increase the veggies by ½ cup, and omit the cheese.