Chicken Stuffed with Gruyere, Arugula, and Prosciutto
This chicken stuffed with gruyere, arugula, and prosciutto is a delicious dish that you can prepare ahead of time so it's quick and easy.
For the Chicken:
- 6 (4 oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 6 (1/2 oz.) slices prosciutto
- 6 (1/2 oz.) slices Gruyere cheese
- 1½ cups trimmed arugula
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
For the Sauce:
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1-2 tablespoons flour (preferably instant flour)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375ºF
- To prepare the chicken, place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of wax paper; pound to ¼ –inch thickness using a meat mallet.
- Season chicken breast with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Top each chicken breast with 1 slice prosciutto, 1 slice cheese and ¼ cup arugula.
- Roll each piece of chicken and secure with toothpicks if necessary. If it’s too hard for you to roll the chicken, you can simply fold each piece in half.
- Pour extra virgin olive oil into a shallow bowl.
- Combine seasoned breadcrumbs with Parmigiano cheese in a separate shallow bowl.
- Dip chicken rolls in extra virgin olive oil and then roll them in the breadcrumb-cheese mixture. (The chicken can be prepared up to a day ahead and refrigerated at this point).
- Place chicken in a greased shallow baking pan and bake at 375º for 45 minutes.
- During the last 10 minutes the chicken is in the oven, add olive oil and shallots to a sautée pan and sautée for 2 minutes over high heat stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the shallots have softened and browned, add the white wine and allow to evaporate.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Whisk in flour to thicken the sauce a bit.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted.
- Remove chicken from oven and let it sit for a few minutes. Then slice chicken and place in serving platter. (If you rolled the chicken, you will have little pinwheels filled with prosciutto, melted cheese and arugula.)
- Pour the white wine shallot sauce over the chicken before serving.