Super yummy cookies made with lots of healthy ingredients.
- 1¼ cups sesame seeds
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons + a bit more Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¾ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
- Zest of 1 orange, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, ground
- a rimmed baking sheet
- a small, heavy bottomed saucepan
- a pastry brush
- metal spatula
- parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread the sesame seeds on a rimmed baking sheet, and place it in the oven. Toast the seeds until light golden, shaking them on the baking sheet occasionally, about 8 minutes. Let the seeds cool on the sheet.
- Put the sugar, honey, 2 teaspoons olive oil and 2 teaspoons water in the saucepan, and set it over medium-low heat. Stir with a wooden spoon frequently as the sugar dissolves and the syrup comes to a boil.
- Simmer until the syrup is a deep-caramel color, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, brush a nonporous work surface (such as granite, or stainless steel) with Colavita Olive Oil; coat the metal spatula with olive oil as well.
- When the caramel is done, turn off the heat, and stir in the sesame seeds, almonds, citrus zests, and cinnamon. Pour (and scrape) the molten candy from the pan onto the work surface, and quickly spread it into a even rectangular layer, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Allow it to cool and firm up for a minute or two, to firm up but not harden.
- With a serrated knife and a straight edge, slice the sheet of candy into 1-inch strips. Then cut diagonal slices 1 inch apart. Divide the strips into diamond-shaped pieces.
- With a metal spatula separate the pieces, and arrange them in a single layer, not touching, on trays lined with parchment or wax paper, and let them harden completely. Store them in an airtight container with parchment or wax paper between the layers.