Italian Tagine Chicken
For a sweet, salty, and tangy dish all in one, chicken that is soaked in a tasty marinade of pancetta and lemon, try this delicious Italian Chicken Tagine.
For the Marinade:
- 2 cloves roasted garlic (recipe follows)
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped oregano
- ⅓ cup Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- a few grinds of black pepper
For the Chicken:
- 4 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- ¼ thick cut pancetta, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped preserved lemons (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup pinot grigio
- ½ cup Rachael Ray Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- ½ cup crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup Bella di Cerignola Olives (or similar green olives, pits removed)
For the Garnish:
- lemon zest, more fresh parsley and oregano, dusting of smoked paprika, freshly
- ground black pepper
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a blender and purée.
- Rinse the chicken in cold water and pat dry. Place the chicken in a re-sealable plastic bag.
- Pour the marinade into the bag along with the chicken.
- Seal the bag, swishing around the contents to coat all the chicken thighs evenly. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium low. The 13” Chef from Vita Craft works beautifully for this.
- Add the chopped pancetta and allow it to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Chop the preserved lemons and once the pancetta is browned, toss them in for a moment to toast with the pancetta.
- Remove the lemon and pancetta mixture from the skillet and reserve it in a dish.
- Do not rinse the skillet, but use the pancetta fat to sear the chicken.
- Remove the chicken from it’s marinade, shaking off any excess. Reserve the remaining marinade.
- Increase the heat to medium and place the chicken thighs, skin side down in the skillet. Allow them to brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Use metal tongs to flip them.
- Once they have browned, remove them from the skillet and place them in a dish.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the Colavita Pinot Grigio.
- Using a wooden spoon, scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the skillet (these are the tasty parts!).
- Add the rest of the marinade, the chicken stock and the Cirio crushed tomatoes. Stir to incorporate.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet, increase the heat to medium-low and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet with a lid and allow it to simmer for about 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Once the 40 minutes is up, add the green olive and the pancetta and lemon mixture back to the skillet. Allow it to cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with more freshly chopped herbs, a sprinkle of smoked paprika and some freshly ground black pepper.