Roasted Beet and Pineapple Tart
Serves 8 as a side dish
For the filling:
- 4 large beets, roasted sliced into rounds
- 1 cup pineapple, cut into rounds
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- fresh mint
- Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- sea salt
For the crust:
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (just pulse some graham crackers in a food processor)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- First, roast the beets. Remove the leafy stems, reserving them, and slice the beets in half. Wrap each loosely in aluminum foil and place in an oven heated to 400 degrees. Bake until soft when pierced with a knife - about 40 minutes.
- Remove the beets from the oven and allow to cool. Remove the skins from the beets, and slice into rounds.
- Remove the baked crust from the oven and place a layer of sliced pineapple along the bottom.
- Fill the crevices with goat cheese. Layer the round of roasted beets on top of the pineapple and cheese. You can use golden beets for color if you like. Feel free to add more goat cheese or pineapple.
- Drizzle the top with Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and the tart starts to sizzle.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh mint. Serve immediately.
Instructions for the Walnut Crust
- Coarsely chop walnuts and graham crackers in a food processor until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Add the egg and melted butter to the crumb mixture and pulse to combine. The mixture should start to hold together in clumps.
- Place a 9-inch removable-bottom tart pan on a baking sheet. Crumble the mixture over the surface of the tart pan and press to form the crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, until set.