Spring Pea Fusilli with Arugula and Avocado
Spring pea fusilli with arugula and avocado is a hearty, fresh, and healthy springtime pasta recipe. Made with Colavita organic fusilli.
- 6 oz arugula, divided
- juice and zest from 1 lemon
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled with the pit removed
- ½ cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 1 lb Colavita Organic Fusilli
- 8 oz fresh peas, divided
- ½ cup coarsely chopped roasted and salted pistachio nuts
- ½ cup Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more as needed
- sea salt
- First, prepare the pesto. In the bowl of a food processor, combine 3 oz of arugula, the avocado meat, 4 oz of the fresh peas, ¼ cup of the pistachios, ½ cup Colavita Olive Oil, lemon juice and ½ teaspoon sea salt.
- Pulse until the mixture is smooth. It should be a very spreadable consistency, so add more Colavita Olive Oil if it seems dry.
- Fill a large pasta pot with water and bring to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon sea salt and place the Colavita Organic Fusilli in the water.
- Cook just under al dente—about 7 minutes. Drain the pasta, reserving ½ cup of the pasta water in the pot. Mix in 1 tablespoon of Colavita Olive Oil with the pasta so doesn’t stick together.
- Return the pasta pot to the stove top over medium-low heat. Add in the pea and avocado pesto and sauté for about 3 minutes. Make sure that the fusilli is well coated with the pesto.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the remaining 3 oz of fresh arugula and the 4 oz. fresh peas.
- Portion the pasta in four bowls. Garnish with lemon zest, Parmesan shavings and the remaining chopped pistachios. Serve!