Summer Polenta Berry Cake
This is my favourite naturally GF cake using polenta and almonds instead of flour. Most people have a box of polenta lurking in the pantry! I am currently enjoying an altitude training block in Colorado. Now that the last of the May snow has melted it feels safe to say summer is coming and therefore fitting to bake this cake! -Emma Grant
- 175g butter, softened
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 150g Colavita Polenta
- 100g pack Waitrose Ground Almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100g Ground Almonds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 400g raspberries
- 300g blueberries
- Zest of 1 lemon plus ½ the juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (that’s 350F America!). Line a 24cm square or 27cm round shallow cake tin with baking parchment. Cream the butter and 175g of the sugar.
- Add the beaten egg and polenta and beat again. Stir in the ground almonds, vanilla extract and baking powder. Fold in half each of the raspberries and blueberries with the lemon zest.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the tin and level with the back of the spoon. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and when a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Prepare the syrup by heating the lemon juice with the remaining 50g sugar, either in a microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or by boiling in a small saucepan for 1-2 minutes until syrupy. Make small holes over the surface of the cake with a skewer and pour the warm syrup evenly over while the top of the cake whilst still hot.