Wagon Wheel Pasta
Need some inspiration for your next family meal? Use Colavita's Wagon Wheel Pasta for a fun twist on pasta, and get the whole family involved.
- 8 ounces of Colavita Wagon Wheel Pasta
- 1 cup frozen peas, broccoli florets cut into teeny pieces, or small carrot pieces
- 2 tablespoons Colavita Olive Oil, divided
- ½ pound ground turkey or bulk mild chicken/turkey sausage (not in casings)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Big hunk of Parmesan cheese
- Cook the wagon wheels according to the package directions. A few minutes before the pasta is done, add your vegetable of choice to the pasta pot. Cook until crisp-tender, 1-2 minutes for peas, 2-3 minutes for broccoli, 3-4 minutes for carrots.
- While the pasta cooks, brown the meat or sausage. To do so, heat a frying pan over high heat for 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and heat for another minute. Spread the ground turkey or sausage out in the pan and let it cook undisturbed until it starts to brown and releases from the bottom of the pan. (If it starts to smoke, lower the heat and/or remove the pan from the heat for a few seconds.) Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is no longer pink in the center. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to cool.
- When the pasta and vegetables are done, drain in a colander and return the pasta to the pot. Over a low flame, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the butter. Stir to melt the butter and coat the pasta.
- Spoon into bowls, then grate Parmesan cheese over the pasta. Serve and enjoy!
Notes: If cooking with your children, let your kid(s) help grate their own Parmesan cheese over the pasta: You hold the grater and they move the cheese. Make sure it’s a big enough hunk so that they can hold it without getting their fingers near the sharp grating holes.