Recipe type: Appetizer
Prep time: | Cook time: | Total time:
2 lbs of mixed winter vegetables including:
- Red or golden beets or both
- Butternut, acorn or delicata squash
- Parsnips Carrots Small potatoes – try red or purple varieties
The other ingredients:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line a rimmed, metal baking sheet with parchment paper/ Prepare the vegetables: Rinse all the vegetables.
- Note: Cutting the vegetables the same width will ensure an even roasting for all vegetables. We like to achieve a ¼” thickness. Use a very sharp knife, as squash has thick skin and can be difficult to cut. For beets, remove the tops and stems. You can reserve the beet greens for salad.
- Peel the outer skin from the beets before chopping into ¼” thick slices.
For carrots and parsnips:
- Remove the tops and stems.
- Slice thick carrots lengthwise into ¼” sticks. If you are using the smaller, thinner carrots, it’s beautiful to keep them whole.
For butternut, acorn and delicata squash:
- There’s no need to peel off the skins. Roasting will soften the skin and make it delicious. Instead, remove the tops and stems.
For butternut squash:
- It’s helpful to cut in half before slicing lengthwise. For delicata squash, you can slice lengthwise. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Then slice them into ¼”slices. For the potatoes, cut them into ¼” chunks.
- Place the veggies on the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle them with the Colavita Olive Oil and sprinkle the seasonings and herbs on top.
- Using your hands, massage the oil, herbs and seasonings around all the vegetables, making sure they are all coated.
- Roast the veggies in the oven until they are lightly browned and just tender, 25-30 minutes.
- You can flip the vegetables half-way through the roasting process with a metal spatula or tongs to brown them evenly on both sides.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with Colavita Balsamic Vinegar. Give them a toss, and place them in a serving dish or bowl.